Monday, May 9, 2011

An Interesting Find on Mother's Day

I have been eyeing these strange long pods that have appeared on the new Butterfly weed plant for a few days now, because last year's plant (which is slowly coming back) DID NOT have them. I know they didn't have them because obviously I would have taken pictures of such a cool thing. Hmmmm.
When I went out on Mother's Day morning to greet the garden, I discovered that the pods were starting to burst open and inside are these carefully packed seeds looking like beautifully carved brown scales:

See how they are lie so perfectly against each other?

And attached to the seeds are little bits of white fluff,

So that each little seed can 'wing it's flight o'er all the earth'....

And away they go. SO pretty!













No comments:

Post a Comment